Current:Home > NewsCharles Langston:Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -FundSphere
Charles Langston:Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
NovaQuant View
Date:2025-04-06 14:00:59
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have Charles Langstonagain been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (9657)
Related
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- PACCAR recalls over 220,000 trucks for safety system issue: See affected models
- Joe Burrow’s home broken into during Monday Night Football in latest pro
- OCBC chief Helen Wong joins Ho Ching, Jenny Lee on Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- Deadly chocolate factory caused by faulty gas fitting, safety board finds
- Aaron Taylor
- Deadly chocolate factory caused by faulty gas fitting, safety board finds
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- Timothée Chalamet makes an electric Bob Dylan: 'A Complete Unknown' review
Ranking
- Louvre will undergo expansion and restoration project, Macron says
- A fugitive gains fame in New Orleans eluding dart guns and nets
- Not sure what to write in your holiday card? These tips can help: Video tutorial
- Biden says he was ‘stupid’ not to put his name on pandemic relief checks like Trump did
- NHL in ASL returns, delivering American Sign Language analysis for Deaf community at Winter Classic
- Man on trial in Ole Miss student’s death lied to investigators, police chief says
- 'The Later Daters': Cast, how to stream new Michelle Obama
- 'Vanderpump Rules' star DJ James Kennedy arrested on domestic violence charges
Recommendation
Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
This drug is the 'breakthrough of the year' — and it could mean the end of the HIV epidemic
Only about 2 in 10 Americans approve of Biden’s pardon of his son Hunter, an AP
Woman fired from Little India massage parlour arrested for smashing store's glass door
Tarte Shape Tape Concealer Sells Once Every 4 Seconds: Get 50% Off Before It's Gone
Ohio Supreme Court sides with pharmacies in appeal of $650 million opioid judgment
Trump says Kari Lake will lead Voice of America. He attacked it during his first term
Hougang murder: Victim was mum of 3, moved to Singapore to provide for family